Bergmann

The Bergmann Automobilfabrik (Bergmann Automobile Factory) was established in Gaggenau, Germany at the end of the nineteenth century to produce cars, vans and buses. In 1905, following a change of ownership, it was renamed the "Süddeutsche Automobilfabrik" (South-German Automobile Factory). At some point soon after this it seems that they experimented with a tractor design - this was rated at 19 hp and featured a four-cylinder Benz petrol engine. The radiator and bonnet were sourced from the Belgian company FN (Fabrique Nationale d'Armee de Guerre), while the remaining components were produced in-house. Interestingly, the nameplate on the tractor(s) still featured the name "Bergmann-Gaggenau", however. Around 1910, following serious financial difficulties, the Süddeutsche Automobilfabrik were bailed out by Benz & Cie, who were looking to expand their truck production. The firm was renamed "Benz-Werke Gaggenau", and in 1912 was taken over completely.

(Click on images below to enlarge)



Bergmann at Traktormuseum Bodensee, Uhldingen-Mühlhofen, Germany in 2013.. The tractor was discovered in a barn in 1988 and is believed to have been built in 1906, which would make it the oldest surviving German-built tractor.

 


TOP       BACK       HOME
Copyright © 2006-2017 David Parfitt. All rights reserved.