Happy Farmer

The Happy Farmer Tractor Co. of Minneapolis, Minnesota started to sell its Happy Farmer tractors in 1915. Like many tractors of that period, it was a three-wheeled design, with two large drive wheels at the rear and a single small front wheel for steering. Power was provided by a horizontal two-cylinder engine. In the same year, the La Crosse Implement Co. of La Crosse, Wisconsin also began to sell the Happy Farmer tractor, and in 1916 the interests of both firms were combined in the La Crosse Tractor Co. In the early years, two models were available - the 8-16 Model A and the 12-24 Model B. These were replaced in 1919 with the 12-24 Model F, basically an improved version of the Model B, and the four-wheeled 12-24 Model G. In 1921 the Model M 'lin-drive' 7-12 appeared, and a year or so later the Model G was updated with several minor modifications to the 12-24 Model H. The La Crosse Tractor Co. ceased tractor production in the early 1920s.

(Click on images below to enlarge)



Happy Farmer Model B 12-24 at the Great Dorset Steam Fair, Dorset, England in 2001.



Happy Farmer Model F 12-24 (serial no. 8821) photographed in a private collection in the UK in 2013.



Happy Farmer Model F 12-24 at the Antique Farm Equipment Museum, Tulare, California, USA in 2005.



Happy Farmer Model F 12-24 at the HMT Show, Panningen, Netherlands in 2005.



Happy Farmer Model G 12-24 (serial no. 16313) at the Conservatoire de l'Agriculture - Le Compa, Chartres, France in 2007.



Happy Farmer Model G 12-24 (serial no. 16382) at the Country Heritage Park, Milton, Ontario, Canada in 2004.



Happy Farmer Model H 12-24 at the Musee Maurice Dufresne, Azay-le-Rideau, France in 2007.



Happy Farmer Model M 7-12 (serial no. 92) at the Midwest Old Threshers Reunion, Mt Pleasant, Iowa, USA in 2011.

 


TOP       BACK       HOME
Copyright 2006-2017 David Parfitt. All rights reserved.