Jelbart

George and Frank Jelbart founded the Jelbart Bros. firm at Ballarat, Victoria in 1911 and were pioneers in Australian internal combustion engine design. Around 1914 they installed one of their “No. 8” oil engines in the first Jelbart tractor. By 1917 they were offering two models, an 8 hp and a 12 hp, which were unusual in their use of a segmented belt drive from the engine to the transmission. Many Jelbart tractors were custom-built for the buyer, and their rugged simplicity appealed to the Australian farmer.

(Click on images below to enlarge)



Jelbart at Brayshaw Park, Blenheim, New Zealand in 2006.



Jelbart at the Booleroo Steam & Traction Preservation Society Museum, Booleroo Centre, South Australia in 2007.



Jelbart at the Wheatlands Musuem, Warracknabeal, Victoria, Australia in 2007.

 


TOP       BACK       HOME
Copyright © 2006-2017 David Parfitt. All rights reserved.