Nichols & Shepard

Nichols & Shepard of Battle Creek, Michigan became famous in the late 1800s for their "Red River Special" range of threshers and well-built steam traction engines. The company announced their first gasoline tractor in 1911, and were soon offering two different models, a 25-50 and a 35-70. These heavyweight machines owed a great deal to steam engine design, and appeared alongside the machines they were destined to replace in Nichols & Shepard catalogues. The range was expanded to include a smaller 20-42 model in 1923, and continuing the trend towards lightweight tractors, Nichols & Shepard added three tractors built by the John Lauson Mfg. Co. to their product line in the late 1920s. In 1929, Nichols & Shepard merged with several other companies to form the Oliver Farm Equipment Co.

(Click on images below to enlarge)



Nichols & Shepard 35-70 (serial no. 396) at Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion, Rollag, Minnesota, USA in 2011.

 


TOP       BACK       HOME
Copyright 2006-2014 David Parfitt. All rights reserved.