Tourand-Latil

Georges Latil was an engineer from Marseille who started out building power units based around De Dion engines to replace the front axles of horse-drawn carts. He subsequently adapted his axles to tractor units for heavy haulage purposes, and in 1912, created the first four-wheel drive, four-wheel steer vehicle by coupling two such axles together. In 1915 he teamed up with the Tourand company to produce an agricultural tractor, a 20 hp machine that incorporated several novel features: the two rear wheels were placed inside the chassis side members and a hoist was used to raise and lower the plough or other mounted implement. The Tourand-Latil was demonstrated at several agricultural trials and marketed after the First World War. In 1918 Latil resumed his work on road haulage tractors, and from 1925 he began to adapt these for agricultural use, initially in the beetgrowing areas of the Ile de France. Latil also pioneered the use of pneumatic tyres on agricultural vehicles in the late 1920s, and his versatile machines were equally at home in the field or on the road.

(Click on images below to enlarge)



Tourand-Latil at the Musee Maurice Dufresne, Azay-le-Rideau, France in 2007.

 


TOP       BACK       HOME
Copyright 2006-2017 David Parfitt. All rights reserved.