Walsh & Clark

Walsh & Clark Ltd. of Guiseley, Leeds introduced their "Victoria" cable ploughing engines in 1913. The method of cable ploughing had been established in the 19th century, and involved a pair of steam engines, one at either end of a field, pulling an implement backwards and forwards by means of a cable attached to a winding drum on each engine. While the "Victoria" superficially resembled a steam engine, it actually used an internal combustion engine and the "boiler" was in fact a fuel tank. The engine was of a twin-cylinder horizontal design, and was intended to start on petrol and then run on paraffin. The Walsh & Clark machines proved popular with contractors, who were already familiar with using steam ploughing tackle, although production ceased in the 1920s as direct ploughing with a tractor replaced the cable method.

(Click on images below to enlarge)



Walsh & Clark "Victoria" cable ploughing engine (serial no. 5038 RH) at Woolpit Steam Rally, Suffolk, England in 2009.



Walsh & Clark "Victoria" cable ploughing engine (serial no. 5045 LH) at Stapehill Abbey Museum, Dorset, England in 2006.

 


TOP       BACK       HOME
Copyright 2006-2011 David Parfitt. All rights reserved.