Weeks-Dungey

William Weeks and Son were an agricultural engineering company based at Maidstone, Kent, and around 1915 they agreed to build a tractor for a local fruit and hop grower by the name of Dungey. The first Weeks-Dungey tractors were extremely lightweight machines with an exposed four-cylinder engine at the front and a large cylindrical water tank next to the driver's seat at the rear. Encouraging sales resulting from limited production of this machine led to the development of a revised "New Simplex" model around 1918. This was a somewhat more substantial tractor, with a fully-enclosed engine compartment with Waukesha engine, front-mounted radiator and three forward speeds. It is not clear how many of these tractors were built, but production ended in 1925.

(Click on images below to enlarge)



Weeks-Dungey "New Simplex" at the Stapehill Abbey Museum, Dorset, England in 2006 (left), and after restoration at Carrington Rally, Lincolnshire, England in 2009 (right).

 


TOP       BACK       HOME
Copyright 2006-2011 David Parfitt. All rights reserved.